Thursday 24 January 2013

Hats Off....J Rajashekar Reddy

"I think I can't do it."
If you had this thought
anytime in your mind, YOU
MUST READ THIS!!!
The vision to achieve his
childhood goal helped 23-
year-old
J. Rajashekar Reddy qualify
the final hurdle of
becoming a chartered
accountant. He is the first
completely blind candidate
in India to manage the
feat. “My success is not
mine alone but of all those
volunteers, teachers,
friends and mentors who
supported me throughout,”
said the boy from Guntur,
who cleared the
examination in his second
attempt on Jan 21.
After he lost his vision
owing to a damaged optic
nerve caused by brain
tumor at the age of 11,
Rajashekar never imagined
that he would be able to
script a sterling success.
“I went into depression and
my parents had given up
on me. I had never paid
much attention to studies,
but I am grateful to my
grandmother who brought
me to Hyderabad, after she
heard of the Devnar School
for Blind,” said Rajashekar,
who found his feet after
joining the school. A
meeting with a career
counselor at the school
when he was in 10th
standard set the pace for
his career.
“The profession of CA is an
honoured post in the
society and hence I was
motivated to pursue it. My
father works as an
electrician and mother is a
homemaker. It is a little
difficult for them to
comprehend the sense of
my achievement. In fact,
looking at the jitters I was
going through before my
results were declared, my
mother was worried that I
chose a profession which
causes stress and wanted
me to relax at home,” he
added.
Preparing for the
examination is doubly
difficult for a visually
impaired student due to
lack of study material. But
Rajashekar’s teachers and
many volunteers helped
him record the books into
an audio format through
scanners.
“I would record the classes
at my coaching institute
and hear lectures after
returning home. Also, the
questions for the practical
paper are lengthy, and
going over them again and
again is tedious as my
peers with normal vision
could always go back to a
certain part of the question
or pick up a book and start
reading right-away. For
practical preparation, my
teachers and volunteers
had been helpful,” said the
B.Com graduate from
Osmania University.
The tedious efforts of four
and a half years were
lauded by Rajashekar’s
teachers at school. “He was
staying with us throughout
his college. A visually-
impaired person is as good
as anyone and need not be
pitied. They can reach the
pinnacle of success through
hard work,” said Dr. A.
Saibaba Gowd, chairman of
the Devnar Foundation

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LIKE US

Powered by Blogger.